Friday, January 6, 2012

Airport Infestation




I spent a couple of hours sitting in the floor at baggage claim in the South Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport this afternoon. I whiled away the time drinking Diet Coke, carefully avoiding Dunkin' Donuts, and hoping for a celebrity sighting (Nene! Kim! Other Real Housewives of Atlanta! Where are you??) After some time I glanced up and noticed an army of fire ants tromping across the ceiling above my head. The installation is called "Brute Neighbors" by Joe Peragine, evidently inspired by the artist's reading of Walden by Henry David Thoreau. Why this "apt metaphor for human nature" (according to the artist) is crawling across the ceiling of baggage claim, I do not know. Staring at them didn't really inspire me to contemplate human nature, but it did make me kind of itchy...

No comments: